1. grüner veltliner! 2008 "Junger Österreicher" from Weingut Gschweicher - ok/good
fresh, green apple flavors, lively acid structure.
2. Zweigelt 2007 from Weingut Gmeiner (wine from upper austria!!!!) - ok/good
fruity with oak notes on the nose, chocolate, hard tannins, young.
the wines from the party:
3. Chardonnay Spätlese 2006 from Weingut Kaiser/Matzen - yech
dull, dirty, moldy nose. (Our first thought was cork but the cork itself smelled ok. Our conclusion was a moldy barrels or pipes).
4. St. Laurent Landwein from Weingut Kaiser/Matzen - yech
(Landwein is the stage below quality wine and therefore is no vintage stated)
unclean, dirty old barrel, moldy, phenolic. As this is the second wine of the estate it seems to be a serious problem within the winery!
To drink another decent wine this evening we opened a bottle of
5. Zweigelt 2007 from Weingut Unger - good
cherry, sour cherries, blackberries, on the nose, slight coffee flavors and tannin structure on the palate.