tasting notes (of course all Rieslings):
1. 2007 Buitenverwachting (10% alc., TA 7,5; RS 8,0)
fruity on the nose, nice acid structure, good finish
2. 2007 Hartenberg Wine Estate (13%; TA 5,9; pH 3,01; RS 7,9)
slight petrol flavors, good acid, not as balanced as 1, not clear aromas on the nose
3. 2007 De Wetshof (13,6%; TA 7,3; pH 3,09; RS 4,8)
Löss flavors on the nose (hotter region, different soil) good acid structure, but rather short and lean
4. 2005 Paul Cluver Wines (11,5%; TA 7,9; pH 2,84; RS 9,0)
clear intense stone fruits on the nose, very good acid structure, extremly fresh and well balanced, lingering, very good
5. 2007 Ross Gouwer (11,0%; TA 6,3; RS 6,2)
slightly reductive, maybe slight cork taint as well, too sweet, not balanced, short.
6. 2006 SA Prüm QBA (11,5%; TA 7,3; RS 10,1) "Liter" bottle!!
for me clearly identifiable as German Riesling, classic, good acid, good length
7. 2003 Scharzhofberger Cabinet Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt (9,0%; TA 6,1; RS 49,6)
good matured, slight petrol tone, sweet, but very good structured.
8. 1987 Nederburg Special Late Harvest (13,6%; TA 6,8; pH 3,2; Rs 45,6)
alcoholic, brownish colour, on the palate alcoholic too, but drinkable and good for this age
9. 1997 Hochheimer Domdechaney Auslese (7,78%; TA 8,6; RS 96)
lovely fruit, fine aromas, elegant, lingering on the palate, good structured, very good
10. Paul Cluver Noble Late Harvest (12%; TA 7,7; pH 3,4; RS 125,4)
intense fruit and honey aroma, very good acid structure, long finish, very good.
The snacks after the tasting:
Ostrich Carpaccio, Spinach/Salmon rolls, coriander chicken with rice, fruit tarts and brownies
Served with the food:
Dr. Loosen Riesling Auslese 2003, Klein Constantia Rielsling 2007, and the leftovers from the tasting.
This was definitely one of the best tastings I attended here in South Africa so long. I met a friend of Adam and he is the chairman of a exclusive tasting group. Glady, I was invited for the next tasting but I have to organize an Austrian tasting for them. If that´s the only problem ...