The most inspiring conversation that afternoon was with Martina Mariel from winery Konrad Mariel. We talked about the different tasting habits and pattern of winemakers, consumers and journalists. Long conversation cut short - winemakers are always looking for faults and taints, journalists are on the other side of this spectrum, they are looking for all the positive flavors and are more generous regarding minor (some even major eg. Brett) flaws, the consumers is somewhere in the middle, I hope the consumers main concern is looking for pleasure.
Here are my tasting notes: (some wines showed restrained flavors due to recent bottlings)
1. Sauvignon Blanc 2008 from Weingut Haider Heinrich - good
fresh green flavors, very typical for SB in this region, good acid structure.
2. Zweigelt 2007 from Weingut Heiling - good
cherries, good tannin structure, length ok.
3. Sankt Laurent 2007 from Weingut Heiling - good
bit restrained, but opens up wit more O2, fruitdriven
4. Pinot Noir 2005 from Weingut Leo Hillinger - good/very good
bit stinky at the first snif, but with more O2 very typical flavors, good structure.
5. Hill 1 2006 from Weingut Leo Hillinger - good
rather oaky and closed, very modern style, juicy tannins, good strucutre, young.
6. Sankt Laurent 2007 from Weingut Hans Nittnaus - good
quite typical color and flavors, very good length.
7. Pinot Noir 2006 from Weingut Schloss Halbturn - good/very good
bit closed, very typical, soft lingering tannin backbone.
8. Muskat Ottonel 2008 from Weingut Silvia Steiner - good
fruit driven, very good balanced.
9. Pinot Blanc 2008 from Weingut Birgit Braunstein - good
restrained pear aroma, flinty, good structure, shows minerality on the palate.
10. Chardonnay 2008 from Weingut Birgit Braunstein - good
ripe yellow apple, bit restrained, good acid structure, minerality.
11. Gelber Muskateller 2008 from Weingut Konrad Mariel - good
fresh, fruity, musky, good acid structure, refreshing.
12. Grüner Veltliner 2008 from Weingut Konrad Mariel - good/very good
peppery nose, very typical variety expression, racy acid backbone.
13. Pinot Blanc 2008 from Weingut Konrad Mariel - good
creamy, pear, flinty, quite lean palate.
14. Cuvee Condre 2007 from Weingut Konrad Mariel - good/very good
Cassis, some green hints but not unpleasant, multilayered, good balanced.
15. GV Bergweingarten M 2008 from Weingut Sommer - good/very good
spicy, peppery, very good acid structure, typical.
16. Sauvignon Blanc Wolfsbach 2008 from Weingut Sommer - good
bell pepper, some asparagus, canned peas.
17. Chardonnay Kreuzjoch 2008 from Weingut Sommer - good
fresh, fruity, sugar melon, good acid structure.
18. Muskateller 2008 from Weingut Sommer - good
very explosive nose, typical, green apple, quite soft palate, good length.
19. Rivaner 2008 from Weingut Wagentristl - good
musky, very subtle aroma.
20. Pinot Blanc 2008 from Weingut Wagentristl - good
fresh, fruity, exotic fruit cocktail, good length.
21. Chardonnay 2008 from Weingut Wagentristl - good
soft, melon, some more exotic fruits, balanced.
22. Blaufränkisch 2006 from Weingut Wagentristl - good
spicy, straightforward style, good length.
23. Pinot Noir Kreideberg 2006 from Weingut Wagentristl - good
pale red, orange reflections, red fruits, spicy, good length.
24. Cuvee Heulichin 2006 from Weingut Wagentristl - good/very good
bold, oak, still very young, restrained but good fruit, lingering.
25. Mittelburgenland DAC Reserve 2006 from Weingut Bauer-Pöltl - good
spicy, lean, very typical, good tannin structure.
26. Mittelburgenland DAC Reserve Quintus 2006 from Weingut Iby - good/very good
bit restrained fruit, lean and straightforward, very good structured, age worthy.
27. Chevalier 2006 from Weingut Iby - good
restrained fruit, quite closed now, very good length and structure.
28. Ab Ericio 2006 from Weingut Igler - good
bit plasticine, maybe minor Brett infection (future will show), currently juicy tannin structure, lingering.